A unique e-learning platform for people of color
Melanence is an e-learning platform helping people of color develop new skills and monetize their knowledge. It’s a unique and welcoming community for self-education and a convenient tool for career advancement and personal growth.
|Client name||Juan Young|
- Running the estimation and discovery phase
- Setting up an efficient development workflow
- Designing and wireframing the website from scratch
- Developing the MVP for the e-learning platform
- Ensuring platform scalability
- Building a separate WordPress site for marketing purposes
Once our team had the project plan in place, work on Melanence began. We used Scrum, an agile framework for creating and delivering complex products. Using this development methodology allowed us to save time and begin platform development while we were still finishing the discovery phase. We first designed the website’s user interface and user experience (UI/UX). To ensure usability, we followed a familiar layout for e-learning websites (with a content library, separate course pages, assessments, etc.). We chose a simple color palette and added many graphics to make the website pleasant to look at and use.
Melanence is easy to navigate and has all the functionality students and teachers expect from an e-learning platform.
We made sure that the product is carefully thought out to the smallest detail, conducted business analysis and compiled the necessary project documentation
We have created a full-fledged design system for creating high-quality page templates for all resolutions
The home page layout allows a user to continue watching a course, search for a new course, and explore personalized recommendations.
On each course page, we provide a course description, lesson breakdown, reviews, and complete course information.
We added many video player settings including widescreen/full-screen mode, playback speed, and subtitles for efficient learning.
This section provides students with information about Melanence instructors and the courses they offer.
We made sure instructors can easily create new courses, add learning materials, and publish them after platform admin approval.
We set up a separate website for marketing and advertising to help our client promote the platform and attract the first instructors and students.
- TypeScript and React.js on the front end along with the Redux-saga library for efficient web app feature management
- Python and Django on the back end for maximum security and stability
- AWS and Docker on the back end to ensure scalability
- A REST API for streamlined data management
- PayPal integration for fast and secure payments
- Social sign-in for quick access to the website
- Course search powered by Elasticsearch to offer better suggestions
- Video player settings like playback speed to let users learn at their own pace
In just several months, Melanence has collected over $100,000 in venture funding. As of January 2021, the platform was valued at around $4.5 million.